Italy fans have been left frustrated by inconsistent refereeing as Ryan Baird escaped punishment for a similar challenge that earlier saw the Azzurri hooker sent off.
The game was effectively ended as a contest after just 20 minutes when the dismissal of replacement hooker Hame Faiva prompted uncontested scrums, which meant Italy were forced to take a further player off reducing them to 13.
The visitors defended bravely and at times frustrated Ireland, who still managed to score nine tries despite falling well short of their best with the ball.
- Ben Cohen’s wife slammed for ‘shameful’ and ‘vile’ Russia tweets
- “Must be under pressure” – 5 contenders to replace Eddie Jones
- 4 Premiership stars Eddie Jones should call up after this weekend
- WATCH: Joe Marler doing drag has gone viral on Tik Tok
- ‘Obviously concussed’ player allowed to play on at Twickenham
5 stars who underperformed in round three of the 2022 Six Nations
We take at five players who flopped during the third round of the 2022 Guinness Six Nations, including a disappointing England star.
#1. Finn Russell (Scotland)
Embed from Getty Images
Rugby Pass 5/10: “An erratic display, not for the first time. His aimless kick allowed Dupont space for the opening French try. A dropped ball as Scotland attack and bounced by Danty in the build-up to the visitors’ third score. On the back foot for the second half and hooked after an hour.”