The British and Irish Lions squad will be slimmed down to cut Covid risk with chairman Jason Leonard confirming smaller party will jet off for South Africa
In an exclusive interview with Sportsmail’s Sir Clive Woodward, the former prop explained the logic behind having a small squad of 36.
“My gut feeling is we need to pare back a little and reduce the risk of picking up a random Covid positive to the absolute minimum,” said Leonard.
“We absolutely must not be under-resourced for a Test series against the Boks, but we need to be as lean as possible.
“And the mix needs to be good. There is going to be a lot of down-time in the hotel to kill without everybody disappearing to their rooms, smart phones and computers.”
- How Warren Gatland’s Lions squad looks with a month to go…
- Nigel Owens reveals his five FAVOURITE players to referee
- The Worst British & Irish Lions Players Have Been Ranked…
- Jason Leonard selects drinking XV to save the pub
- Shane Williams reveals his dream back-three trios
LIST: 11 players Warren Gatland described as ‘definites’ Lions in 2019
- Josh Adams (Wales)
- Aaron Wainwright (Wales)
- Alun Wyn Jones (Wales)