Sources suggest Chris Boyd has told Northampton club officials to go after Racing 92 playmaker Finn Russell should Dan Biggar choose to move on at the end of his current deal.
The Rugby Paper recently reported that Top 14 and Champions Cup double winners Toulouse had put Wales ace Biggar on their shopping list.
Russell, who has also been linked with a move to Japan, has received a lot of praise in the build-up to Northampton’s clash with the Parisians this weekend.
The 29-year-old, who has been capped 57 times for Scotland and once by the Lions, is approaching his peak years and is thought to be exploring all of his options.
“You know, for a quarterback or a ten, often the ride that they get from the guys from one to eight makes a significant difference,” Northampton rugby director Boyd said.
“So, you know, front-foot ball and the speed of the ball in territories, there are a whole load of factors in that.
“But Russell is obviously a bit of a magician, and when he is on his game, he can cast a pretty wicked spell.”
- European Champions Cup game cancelled for the weekend
- Wales international Ifan Phillips suffers life-changing injuries in crash
- 4 other transfer targets linked to Steve Borthwick’s Leicester Tigers
- World Rugby confirm their ‘Dream Team of the Year’ – and fans hate it
- England internationals brother goes viral after scoring epic try
World Rugby confirm their ‘Dream Team of the Year’ – and fans hate it
- 15. Stuart Hogg (Scotland)
- 14. Will Jordan (New Zealand)
- 11. Makazole Mapimpi (South Africa)
- 13. Lukhanyo Am (South Africa)
- 12. Samu Kerevi (Australia)