“A lot of sausages just say what comes into their head.”
That was how England prop Ellis Genge described his side’s critics after coming off the bench to score the winning try in the 13-6 victory over Scotland.
He’s now, speaking to the BBC, revealed what he meant by the funny comment.
“Did you ever get called a silly sausage? It ain’t nothing too deep. People think it means something much worse, but it’s just ‘silly sausage.”
The talented prop also talked about how he deals with online criticism and abuse.
- The 5 fastest players in the Gallagher Premiership
- LIST | England’s four one-cap wonders of the last five years
- 4 Northampton signings who were meant to be the business…
- LIST | 5 England internationals still available for next season
- 20 times Joe Marler didn’t give a RUCK
“It’s all right. I don’t think the stick you get in rugby is as harsh as the criticism you see in football.
“My biggest qualm is the way rugby portrays itself as a gentleman’s sport and then people can be hypocritical on that, by slagging players off.
“Social media’s just the end of everything really. It’s the greatest thing in the world, but it’s also the most toxic thing.”
Meet the talented wives and girlfriends of the England squad
1. George Ford – Jess Portman
Michelle Keegan lookalike Jessica Portman is a fashion promotion student and has been with the England fly-half for over three years and they’re now engaged.
2. Jack Nowell – Zoe Ann Pearce
Possibly the cutest couple in rugby share an equally adorable daughter called Nora.